T. Lot bass
The baroque bass flute is based on a rare original in the collection of the Music and Theatre museum in St. Petersburg. It is made by the Paris maker Thomas Lot, around 1750, and is one of about half a dozen surviving baroque basses. It is pitched a whole octave below a regular flute in D and has four open standing keys for holes 1,3,4 and 6. It also has a brass crook, or elbow, much like the one found on modern bass flutes, dividing the headjoint in two.
The original is made in plum, which is highly suitable for such a large instrument because of its lightness and good acoustical qualities. All these features make it relatively easy to play, especially for an instrument of its size. The bass flute plays the full range of two and a half octaves, with regular baroque fingerings. It is extremely usefull as a bass instrument in a flute ensemble, and can even be used to play some solo repertoire.
Available at A=398Hz.